Monday, June 23, 2014

Mexican Fiesta Chicken Tacos

So we pull into Wegmans because Dina wants a CASE of energy drinks. (When searching for that much caffeine, I dare not argue.) "Ok fine, but before we get out of the car, can I look online for some inspiration for dinner tonight? Wanna throw something on the grill?" We agree that we both want chicken, so I start looking up a yummy marinade. She throws out the idea for chicken tacos, I agree that sounds delightful, and we're off. Pretty simple. If only the whole trip were that simple...

There was way too many people in there to move about comfortably. Dina made the hasty comment that "Walmart shoppers must have all of a sudden realized Wegmans existed today," a little too loud for one nearby mother's liking. So I take the cart and shimmy out of traffic and watch while she makes her way, Frogger style, up to the chicken and grabs a package. A huge, family sized, chicken breast package. My face must've said it all, because she immediately snapped, "it was the only one I could grab! We'll freeze the rest!" I say nothing. A short argument later and this is the chicken we end up with: small packet of tenders:
She doesn't quite like the bang for our buck with this package, but I won that one. 

After the third time of her asking me to get off my phone (looking for a yummy marinade!), I tell her "ok I found one! We need orange juice and cilantro!" "Why do we need orange juice?! This always happens. Why can't we just grill some chicken and put salsa on it? I don't understand! This always ends up costing more!" She gets the orange juice, but then (like the pain in the ass I am) tell her, "hey go ahead and put it back if you don't want it. I'll just use this Mexican Fiesta packet over here that I found to make the marinade then." All that fuss about getting extra ingredients (including OJ) and she ends up keeping it in the cart!! (For those of you keeping track, that's Emilee-2 Dina-0.)

Takes a while but we finally agree on salsa (garlic lime, my win), chips (Herr's oval shaped, her win because I wanted the Wegmans brand and she refused), and then last minute I decided we needed shredded cheese. She was already in line so I had to sprint to the back right corner of the store (that's where she told me the cheese was). God forbid I make her wait while the cashier was running our items...saw Mrs. Makarczyk on my way to the back. I would normally stop and give her a hug and chat for a bit...but all I could mutter was, "Hi!! I'm in a hurry, or I'd stop!!"  By the time I get to where I was directed, I thought for sure the cashier would be checking out and I had even less time. Well. The cheese was not in the back right corner. It was the back left. I'm running, she's calling my phone, I don't feel it vibrating, I sprint back to the register (which only had one more item to scan!), made it in the nick of time! And am greeted with a stern: "where's your phone?" Out of breath I hand her the cheese and grab the phone from my waistband. 

Anyway, the food ended up being deelish. But the moral of the story is, don't go to the grocery store with your gf when she's cranky and hungry. 






No comments:

Post a Comment