Thursday, March 27, 2014

Whole Wheat Penne & Tilapia w/ White Wine Sauce

The inspiration for this meal came from two different AllRecipes.com dishes. (This one & this one.) I searched there for artichokes, capers, and seafood. These were the only two recipes that turned up. I love me some artichokes and capers, especially together. Asparagus was on sale this week and cherry tomatoes last week (so they were getting mushy and therefore perfect to add to the sauce). I thought I had a lemon here but I didn't *sad face*. BUT! In my search for some kind of citrus to add, I thanked my inner condiment junkie self for having 4+ (open) marinades on hand and in the fridge, and used a few dashes of the Lemon Pepper one to replace the lemon juice I wanted. Upon tasting, it was a bit too sweet for me. I thought it needed some sour. Then I added a splash of white wine vinegar. Oh! And wine! Fat Cat Pinot Grigio was on sale for $7.99! Of course there's wine in it. Also loaded it up with garlic and remembered at the VERY end to add my mom's secret ingredient….muahahaha. I seasoned 4 small tilapia fillets with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and put them in the pan under the boiling sauce mixture with a lid for a few minutes and stirred the pasta in at the very end. I'll tell you what: I am getting really good at mixing a bunch of ingredients together in a pan. I know the order in which they should all be added (onions and hard veggies go first). I know garlic will burn unless there's something else in there and lots of oil/butter, etc., etc.
Cutting an onion like this (throughout, two different angles, but not all the way through) minimizes the tears AND takes less time than endless chopping. 

Whole wheat penne, tilapia, artichokes, asparagus, tomatoes, capers, garlic, onion. Sauce: white wine, water, juice from artichokes, juice from capers, lemon pepper marinade, white wine vinegar, olive oil, butter. Seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder, garlic pepper grinder, basil, oregano, (secret ingredient).

I think it's missing something. Maybe olives? Mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment